10 Reasons Why You Should Study Abroad
Yesterday, a picture popped up in my Facebook memories. It was from a concert I went to with a bunch of friends I had met only one month before our weekend trip to Gothenburg. This picture got me thinking about how much I enjoyed my semester abroad and why I think you should study abroad if you have the opportunity to.
This list could go on and on, but I've decided to stick with the top 10 reasons why I believe you should study abroad.
- You get to travel to a new country (and many others if you choose to)
- You will make a global network of lifelong friends
- Not only will you learn from your teachers abroad, but you will also learn from other students in your very diverse classes
- You will be immersed in a new culture and maybe even learn a new language (or a few words at least)
- You will get to try new and interesting foods (one of my favourite parts of travelling)
- You will learn how to be completely independent and thrive in a new environment
- You will discover how your culture is perceived by others (like finding out Canadians do apologize a lot...sorry!)
- You will have the opportunity to work on your photography and journaling skills while you document your journey
- You open up the possibility of working abroad in the future with the networks you have made during your time studying abroad
- You will have memories that will last a lifetime, which you can share with your international friends at future reunions
My study abroad semester only lasted four months, but I still think about it and look through my travel photos when I get the chance. In the past two years, I have been able to visit and been visited by friends from America, Germany and Sweden. It's also been amazing to follow along with all of my international friends and see what they're up to now.
Why do you want to study abroad? If you have studied abroad, why did you choose to do so? What is your favourite memory from your time abroad? Feel free to share in the comments below!
Until next time,